- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 4 hrs chilling
- Effort: medium
- 120 g sugar
- 155 ml water
- 7 eggs
- 350 ml evaporated milk
- 250 ml espresso coffee
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp rum
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. In a deep, 1-litre metal flan mould or bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of the sugar with 2 tablespoons of the water. Place over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar turns amber and takes on a soft, caramelised consistency. Swirl the caramel around the mould, totally covering the interior.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and with the remaining sugar, then beat in the milk, coffee, remaining water, vanilla extract, rum and cinnamon.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared mould, then carefully place the mould in a deep roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with enough water to reach halfway up the sides of the mould, and place in the preheated oven. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until golden. Test with a fork, which should come out clean.
5. Remove the dessert from the oven, turn out, then cool and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving.
Rate This Recipe