- Serves: Makes 8-10 slices
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 175 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 175 g margarine
- 175 g caster sugar, sifted
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp instant coffee
For the icing:
- 1 tbsp whiskey
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 275 g icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Grease the tins and line with greaseproof paper.
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a bowl.
3. Put the margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat together with a whisk or electric beater for 3-5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
4. Gradually beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Carefully fold in the sifted flour.
5. Mix the coffee with 1 tbsp hot water to form a paste. Stir this into the cake mixture, and blend until smooth.
6. Divide the mixture between the two tins, levelling the surface with a palette knife.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until firm and springy on top. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
8. To make the icing, combine the whisky and coffee in a small bowl. Beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until creamy. Gradually beat in the icing sugar and the whisky mixture - do not add it all at once or the mixture may curdle.
9. Spread a small amount of icing on one of the cakes. Place the other cake on top and sandwich together. Liberally spread the rest of the icing over the top and sides of the cake, swirling the knife around to make small peaks.
Rate This Recipe