- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus chilling and freezing time
- Effort: medium
For the ice cream:
- 135 g condensed milk
- 1 litres milk
- 25 g sugar
For the Welsh shortbread:
- 100 g slightly salted butter
- 45 g icing sugar, sifted
- 125 g plain flour, sifted
- pinch salt
For the raspberry salad:
- 350 g raspberries
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 lime, juice only
- handful shelled, unsalted, chopped pistachio nuts
1. For the ice cream: place the condensed milk in a large bowl and set aside. In a heavy-based saucepan, slowly bring the milk to the boil with the sugar, stirring often. Continue boiling until reduce by half, stirring frequently to prevent a skin forming, then remove from the heat and skim off any film from the top with a spoon.
2. Pass the milk through a sieve into the condensed milk in a bowl and mix together. Cover, place in the fridge and leave until the mixture is chilled, about 2 hours.
3. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and churn for about 20 minutes or according to manufacturer's guidelines. When churned, transfer the ice cream into a plastic container, seal with a lid and freeze for 2-4 hours to firm up (it will keep in the freezer for up to 2 weeks).
4. For the shortbread: beat the butter and icing sugar together in a bowl, then lightly mix in the flour and salt to make dough. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and roll into a cylinder about 6cm in diameter. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 2 hours until firm.
5. Preheat the oven to 200C/ gas 6. Cut the chilled dough into 12-14 slices and place on a baking sheet, spacing them well apart to allow for spreading. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden around the edges. Leave on the sheet for 1-2 minutes, then lift onto a wire rack with a palette knife and leave to cool.
6. For the salad: purée 100g of the raspberries in a blender or food processor with the sugar and lime juice. Mix the remaining raspberries with the purée in a serving bowl and scatter the pistachios on top.
7. To serve: transfer the ice cream to the fridge for about 30 minutes to soften before scooping. Serve with a dollop of raspberry salad and the shortbread.
Rate This Recipe