- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 12 minutes plus 1 hr preparation
- Effort: medium
- 300 g boneless rabbit
- 1/2 bottle red wine
- black pepper
- 50 g plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 4 sticks celery
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1/2 chillies, finely chopped
- 200 g tinned green lentils
- 400 g Italian canned chopped tomatoes
- 50 g finely chopped parsley
- 245 ml water
For the rice:
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 200 g arborio risotto rice
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 100 g cooked peas
- 100 g salted butter
1. Place the rabbit in a medium size bowl, cover with the red wine and leave to marinate for 12 hours.
2. Remove the rabbit from the marinade and pat dry. Dredge in seasoned flour and set aside.
3. Heat a large frying pan, add the olive oil and gently fry the onion, celery and carrots. Stir in the chilli. Add the rabbit pieces and fry for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Add the lentils, tomatoes and parsley and season to taste. Finally add 2 glasses water and simmer for 2 hours until the sauce has reduced and thickened, adding a little more water if necessary.
4. For the rice, heat a little oil in a pan over a gentle heat and fry the onion until soft. Add the rice and toast for 5 minutes.
5. Slowly add vegetable stock, a little at a time, stirring continuously. Half way through the cooking time, add the peas and season with salt and pepper to taste. Once cooked, remove from heat and stir in the butter to create a creamy texture. Taste the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Serve immediately with the rabbit casserole.
Rate This Recipe