- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 60 g butter
- 1.5 kg chicken, cut into quarters
- black pepper
- 4 shallots, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp cognac
- 375 ml Alsatian Riesling white wine
- bouquet garni
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 150 g mushrooms, quartered
- juice of 1/2 lemons
- 1 egg yolk
- 80 ml double cream or crème fraîche
- handful of chopped parsley
1. Heat the oil and 30g of butter in a large casserole dish or heavy-based pan.
2. Season the chicken pieces with salt and freshly ground pepper and add in the chicken. Fry until browned on all sides.
3. Reduce the heat, add in the shallots and fry for a further 2 minutes.
4. Pour over the Cognac and carefully set it alight, to flambé the chicken.
5. Once the flames have died down add in the Riesling, bouquet garni and nutmeg. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Cover the dish and simmer the chicken over a low heat for 30-40 minutes.
7. Heat the remaining butter in a small frying pan. Add in the mushrooms and lemon juice and cook, stirring now and then, until tender, around 5 minutes.
8. Add the mushrooms and any mushroom cooking liquor to the chicken and cook for a further 10 minutes.
9. Discard the bouquet garni. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and mushrooms from the casserole dish and keep warm.
10. Skim any fat from the surface of the Riesling gravy.
11. In a large bowl, whisk together the yolk and cream. Gradually add in the Riesling gravy, stirring constantly.
12. Return the Riesling mixture to the pan and heat gently, stirring constantly.
13. Strain the sauce and stir in the parsley. Pour over the reserved chicken and mushrooms and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe