- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.25 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 60 g butter
- 250 g piecesmokedlardons of bacon
- 1 tsp thyme, leaves only
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tbsp seasoned flour
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot, quartered
- 0.5 red onions, chopped
- 750 ml red wine
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- boiled potatoes
1. Heat the oil and half of the butter in a large saucepan and add the bacon and thyme.
2. Roll the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour. Add them to the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until the chicken is golden.
3. Rub the garlic cloves between your hands to break the skin, then add them to the pan.
4. Add the shallot and onion.
5. Pour in the wine and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 40 minutes to an hour, until the chicken starts to fall off the bone.
6. Carefully remove the chicken, bacon and vegetables with a strainer and transfer them to a serving dish. Return the juices to the heat.
7. Knead the flour into the remaining butter and add this to the pan, a little at a time, until fully incorporated. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens. Pour over the chicken and serve with boiled potatoes and good bread.
Rate This Recipe