- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus soaking
- Effort: easy
- 6-8 free-range chicken thighs, (with skin and on bone)
- flour, for dusting
- Oil and butter, for frying
- 10 French shallots or baby onions, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 80 g pancetta, thinly sliced
- 150 g button mushrooms, cut in halves
- splashes cognac, (optional, but delicious)
- 375 ml dry white wine
- 15 g dried morel mushrooms, soaked in water
- 500 ml good chicken stock
- 6 leaves sage
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- cooked baby potatoes
- cooked turned carrots
- cooked peas
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Place a heavy based casserole dish over a medium heat and while it is coming up to temperature, coat the chicken in the flour.
3. Put a generous amount of oil and butter into the pan and once the butter has melted, fry the chicken on both sides until golden. Then remove.
4. Brown the whole baby onions in the same pan and then remove.
5. Add the garlic, leeks, pancetta and button mushrooms and gently fry for a few minutes then add cognac and white wine to deglaze the pan.
6. Put the chicken and onions back in the pot then add the rest of the ingredients.
7. Cover the casserole dish with a lid and bake for about an hour until the chicken pieces are tender and falling apart.
8. Check the seasoning and serve with baby potatoes, turned carrots and peas.
Rate This Recipe