- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: hard
- 4x200 g chicken breasts
- 250 g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 25 g butter, plus 1tbsp for frying
- 25 g flour
- 100 g lardons of bacon
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 300 g shiitake mushrooms
- 300 g girolles
- 200 g stilton cheese, diced
- 300 g puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten or
- 400 ml milk
- 2 tbsp milk, to glaze
- 6 sprigs thyme, held in cold water
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Slice the chicken breast into medallions and coat with the cep powder. Wrap tightly in cling film and refrigerate overnight.
3. In a saucepan, heat the cauliflower in the milk and cook until soft. Strain off the hot milk and reserve. Purée the cauliflower in a food processor or mouli grater.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour to make a roux. Gradually add the hot milk while stirring to make a thick sauce; stir in the cauliflower purée.
5. In a frying pan, fry each side of the chicken medallions until sealed, then add the bacon lardons, onions, chopped thyme and garlic. When the onions are softened, add the shiitake and girolle mushrooms as well as the cauliflower sauce. Stir and cool for 5 minutes.
6. Scatter the diced Stilton over the bottom of a large pie dish and pour the chicken mix on top.
7. Roll out the puff pastry to a thickness of 3mm and cover the pie dish with it, trimming it to size and crimping the edges with your thumb and forefinger to seal it. Brush the top of the pastry with egg or milk and decorate the edges of the pie with thyme sprigs.
8. Bake in the oven for 1½ hours or until the pastry top is golden brown.
Rate This Recipe