- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 3 hrs pickling
- Effort: easy
- 1 thumb of ginger, sliced very finely with a mandolin
- 100 ml mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- 25 g caster sugar
- 400 g salsify
- 100 ml lemon juice
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400 g spinach
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large smoked mackerel fillet
- microleaves and baby rocket, to garnish
1. Pickle the ginger for a few hours (or overnight) in the vinegar and sugar.
2. Peel and cut the salsify into 8cm battons then put into bowl of water with 80ml of the lemon juice - otherwise it will discolour almost immediately. Add the flour to a pan of boiling water then blanch the salsify for 5 minutes. (The flour will help to retain the white colour.)
3. Put the spinach in a cold pan with a few drops of water. Set over a medium heat and heat through for a couple of minutes, until wilted.
4. Mix the remaining lemon juice with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Use to dress the blanched salsify and spinach whilst they are still warm.
5. Place the dressed greens on a large serving plate and crumble over the mackerel fillet. Garnish with the pickled ginger (drained) and microleaves.
Rate This Recipe