- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1.3333333333333333 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 chicken, about 2 kg when trussed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2-3 carrots, sliced
- small sprig of parsley
- small sprig of tarragon
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 300-375g tinned apricots, in syrup
- 225 ml mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp curry paste
- 4 tbsp single cream
- 85 g flaked almonds
For the cold rice salad:
- 225 g cooked rice
- 225 g spring onions, chopped
- 225 g carrots, diced
- 225 g tomatoes, chopped
- 225 g red peppers, chopped
- handful of parsley, finely chopped
- handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp vinaigrette
1. Put the chicken in a large saucepan with the onion, carrots, parsley, tarragon, salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Cover with water and simmer gently until just tender, around 1 hour 10 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid and set aside to cool. Once cold, remove the skin, take the meat off the bones and cut into bite-sized pieces.
4. Drain the canned apricots, reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup. Cut the apricots into thin slices.
5. Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan. Add in the onion and curry paste and fry gently, stirring often, until the onion is softened but not coloured.
6. Mix the fried onion with the apricot jam and set aside to cool.
7. In a large bowl, mix together the cooled fried onion mixture with the canned apricot syrup, mayonnaise and single cream.
8. Add in the chicken, canned apricots and 45g of the almonds and fold together.
9. To make the cold rice salad, mix together the rice, spring onion, carrot, tomato, red pepper, parsley, coriander and vinaigrette in a separate large bowl.
10. Pile the chicken mixture into a serving dish and top with the remaining almonds.
11. Serve the Coronation chicken with the rice salad.
Rate This Recipe