- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 30 mins soaking time
- Effort: easy
- 1 (about 1kg) chicken
- 1 piece fresh turmeric, (3cm)peeled and roughly chopped
- 50 ml water
- 1 tsp peppercorns, heaped
- 6 green bird's eye chillies
- 4 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 piece ginger, (3cm)roughly chopped
- 200 g tomatoes, chopped
- 100 g shallots, sliced
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1. Cut the chicken into twelve pieces and set aside. Soak the turmeric in about 50ml water for 30 minutes.
2. Using a mortar and pestle or food processor, grind the turmeric, its soaking liquid, the peppercorns, chillies, garlic, ginger, tomatoes and shallots until they become a smooth paste.
3. Mix this paste with the chicken in a large pan and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the chicken is tender. The sauce should still be quite thin. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve the curry with a mound of steaming rice.
Rate This Recipe