- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 25 g butter
- 2 slices of Country ham or gammon steaks, roughly 225g each
- 1/2 tsp caster or granulated sugar
- 100 ml strong coffee
- 100 ml water
Tips and Suggestions
You can use instant coffee in this recipe, but it won't taste as good as coffee from a cafetiere or percolator. In their Mississippi Adventure TV series the Hairy Bikers serve this recipe with collard greens.
1. Melt the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
2. Snip around the gammon fat with scissors every 2cm all the way around - this will help it remain flat in the pan. Season the ham or gammon steaks on both sides with ground black pepper.
3. Fry the ham or gammon for 2-3 minutes on each side depending on thickness until lightly browned and just cooked. Dont allow them to dry out, they should be nice and succulent.
4. Transfer to a warmed baking tray and leave in a low oven or hotplate while the gravy is prepared.
5. Pour the coffee into the frying pan and add the sugar. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly to lift the pan juices and rich sediment from the bottom of the pan.
6. Add the water and bring to the boil. Cook hard for 3-4 minutes or until the gravy is well reduced and has thickened slightly with the pan juices. Youll need roughly 50ml of gravy for two servings.
7. Divide the gammon steaks between two plates, spoon over the gravy and serve with warm biscuits (scones) or grits (hot polenta porridge).
Rate This Recipe