- Serves: 6 as a starter
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 mins standing
- Effort: medium
For the couscous
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 star anise
- 1 orange, zest only
- a few sprigs mint
- 250 g couscous
- 2 tomatoes, blanched, seeds removed, cut into small dice
- 100 g pine kernels, toasted
- 20 g coriander, leaves and stems, chopped
- 12 courgette flowers
For the sauce
- 150 ml virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried chillies
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 25 g whole blanched almonds, chopped
- 20 g shelled hazelnuts
- 2 slices white bread
- 100 ml tomato juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 pinches smoked paprika
- 2 lemons, juice of both, zest of 1
1. To make the couscous, bring the chicken stock to the boil with the star anise, orange zest and mint. Allow to infuse for 10 minutes.
2. Pour the stock over the couscous, cover with cling film and leave to stand for 20 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the couscous is cooked.
3. Add the tomatoes, pine nuts and coriander and season with salt and pepper.
4. To make the sauce, heat a little of the olive oil in a medium pan and cook the chilli, garlic, nuts and bread until golden brown.
5. Add the tomato juice and the remaining olive oil and warm through.
6. Blend the mixture in a food processor to a smooth paste.
7. Add the smoked paprika, lemon juice and zest.
8. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the sauce to the couscous and mix to combine.
9. Spoon into the courgette flowers, wrap in cling film and steam for 5 minutes.
10. Cut the cling film and remove. Serve the courgette flowers with a drizzle of the sauce on the plate.
Rate This Recipe