- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus salting and soaking
- Effort: medium
- 4 courgettes, sliced into 3cm fingers
- 2 tbsp salt
- 300 ml milk
- plain flour, for coating
- groundnut oil, for deep-frying
- lemons, slices, to garnish
For the basil mayonnaise:
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tsp English or French mustard
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 300 ml sunflower or olive oil
- good handful of basil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and black pepper
1. Place the sliced courgettes in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Leave to sit for one hour.
2. Rinse the courgettes very thoroughly under running water. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Put the courgettes in a bowl with the milk. Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile make the mayonnaise. Beat the egg yolks with the mustard and vinegar until thick. Add the oil very gradually, whisking constantly. Fold in the basil, lemon juice and season to taste.
5. When ready to fry the courgettes, heat enough oil for deep-frying in a pan or large saucepan.
6. Drain the courgettes and toss in flour to coat.
7. When the oil has reached 190°C (or when a cube of bread turns golden in about 40 seconds), fry the courgettes a few at a time until crisp and golden.
8. Remove with a wire scoop and drain on paper towels. Transfer to a warm serving dish. Sprinkle with salt and garnish with lemon slices. Serve with the mayonnaise.
Rate This Recipe