- Serves: Makes about 2.7kg
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus overnight standing, plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 1.4kg large courgettes, or marrow, weighed after peeling, chopping into 1cm thick pieces and de-seeding
- 1.8 kg sugar
- 25 g ginger, grated
- rind and juice of 2 lemons, thinly peeled
- rind and juice of 1 oranges, thinly peeled
1. Place the courgettes in a large bowl and sprinkle over about 450g of the sugar. Leave overnight.
2. Place the grated ginger, lemon and orange rind on a piece of muslin and tie up the muslin over the mixture. Place the muslin bag in a preserving pan with the courgettes, orange and lemon juices.
3. Simmer for 30 minutes, add the remaining sugar and boil gently until setting point is reached and the courgettes look transparent.
4. Remove and discard the muslin bag. Pot the hot chutney into clean, warm, sterilised jars, cover with waxed paper discs, set aside to cool and cover in the usual way.
Rate This Recipe