- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the tart
- 3 courgettes
- 3 red or white onions, peeled
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 375 g ready rolled puff pastry
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 35 g cheshire cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- large bunch basil, finely shredded
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
For the salad
- 4-6 ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 20 pitted black Kalamata olives, in olive oil roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Halve the courgette lengthways and then slice each half diagonally into 1 cm pieces.
2. Cut the onions into thin wedges, keeping the root intact.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the courgette and onions for about 5-8 minutes, until they are lightly golden and softened. You may have to do this in a couple of batches.
4. Remove from the pan and leave to cool while you prepare the base of the tart.
5. Place the pastry onto a lightly oiled baking tray and prick several times with a fork.
6. Mix together the ricotta, eggs, half the Cheshire cheese, garlic and basil and beat until smooth. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Spread the mixture over the pastry base, leaving a 2cm border around the edges.
8. Arrange the courgette and onion wedges on top of the ricotta mixture, lining them up neatly (or randomly for a rustic look), and press them down lightly. Season lightly and drizzle over a little olive oil.
9. Brush the edges of the pastry with the remaining oil. Sprinkle rest of the grated Cheshire cheese over the tart and bake for 25 minutes, until the filling has set and the pastry is golden.
10. Meanwhile, to make the salad, simply toss the tomatoes, olives and capers together in a bowl.
11. Mix the red wine vinegar and olive oil together and stir this into the tomato salad. Season to taste.
12. Remove the tart from the oven and serve in slices with the tomato salad.
Rate This Recipe