- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 2 hours 30 minutes plus 6-8 hrs infusing
- Effort: medium
For the quiches
- 375 g shortcrust pastry
- 175 g cooked white crab meat, (reserve the shells)
- 55 g cooked brown crab meat
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 225 ml double cream
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
For the shellfish oil (these amounts can be adjusted as desired)
- reserved crab shells
- olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 1 orange, peel only
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- handfuls fine frisée
- bunch watercress
- 2 spring onions, cut into fine rings
- shellfish oil, (see recipe)
1. Make the shellfish oil first; preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Roast the crab shells in the oven for 10-12 minutes to remove moisture.
3. Heat a medium pan and add the crab shells and the rest of the shellfish oil ingredients.
4. Heat for a few minutes, then remove from the heat, cover and leave to stand for 6-8 hours to infuse.
5. To make the crab and ginger quiches; preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
6. Line 4 individual tartlet tins with the pastry dough. Prick the bases, line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
7. Bake blind for about 10 minutes until the dough is set. Carefully remove the baking parchment and baking beans.
8. Bake for a further 5 minutes until the pastry bases are firm. Remove from the oven.
9. Reduce the oven temperature to 160C/gas 3.
10. Arrange the white crabmeat in the tartlet cases.
11. Beat all the filling ingredients together until combined.
12. Pour into the tartlet cases and cook for about 25-30 minutes until the filling is set in the centre.
13. To serve; combine the leaves and spring onions in a bowl. Drizzle with the shellfish oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve with the quiches.
Rate This Recipe