- Serves: 50
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 7 hrs or overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 550 g dried chickpeas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of saffron
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 250 g potatoes, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- small handful of cooked spinach, chopped
- 250 g crab meat
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
1. Soak the chick peas for about 7 hours or overnight. Remove the outer layer and wash thoroughly.
2. Lightly grind the chick peas in a food processor, together with half of the chopped onion, green pepper and chilli, so that the mixture is still coarse.
3. Add salt, saffron and garlic and whiz again, still keeping the mixture coarse.
4. Place the diced potatoes in a saucepan and heat slightly with no water to remove some of the moisture content.
5. Transfer the chick pea mixture to a large bowl and add the potatoes, carrot, spinach and remaining onion. Stir in the crabmeat.
6. Wet your hands with cold water and take one large teaspoonful of the mixture, place it in the palm of one hand and, using the fingers of the other hand, form it into a disk shape.
7. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer or wok to 190°C. Deep-fry the bhajias, a few at a time, until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe