- Serves: makes 15 cakes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 30 mins chilling
- Effort: easy
- 4 King Edward potatoes
- 300 g butter beans, drained
- 700 g white crab meat
- 300 g brown crab meat
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 1 splashes olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 1-2 red chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 handfuls chopped dill, plus extra to garnish
- tabasco, to taste
- flour, for dusting
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Prick the potatoes all over with a fork and bake them directly on the oven shelf for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until cooked all the way through. Leave until cool enough to handle, then halve the potatoes and scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. Mash until smooth, then leave to cool completely.
2. Add the butter beans, crab meat, egg yolks, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, chillies, garlic cloves and dill and mix well. Add a splash of Tabasco sauce, then taste and add more if needed.
3. Divide the mixture into small patties about 5cm in diameter use a lightly oiled ramekin or a chefs ring to get the perfect shape and place on a tray. Chill the patties for 30 minutes.
4. When ready to cook, pour enough olive oil into a frying pan to give a depth of 1cm and heat until the oil shimmers. Dust each crab cake with a little flour and fry in batches for 4-5 minutes, or until golden, turning to colour each side. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot garnished with the extra dill and a dish of sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
Rate This Recipe