- Serves: Makes 24
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp green or red chillies, finely chopped
- 200 g fresh crab meat, flaked (thawed if frozen)
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 24 sheets of samosa pastry or filo pastry
- 50 ml water
- 115 g flour
- chutney or tomato ketchup
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves, ground turmeric and ginger paste, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes, until fragrant.
2. Add the crab meat, salt and chopped coriander, mixing well, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes to the oil, the mustard seeds, curry leaves, turmeric, ginger, salt, coriander and the crab meat. Fry until cooked.
3. Mix together the water and flour to make a flour paste.
4. Fold a pastry sheet over to make a strip. Place a portion of the crab mixture in one corner of the pastry strip and fold the pastry over into a triangle. Fold the triangle along the strip, sealing the edges with the flour paste.
5. Repeat the process making 24 samosas in all.
6. Heat the oil for deep frying in a deep fat-fryer or wok until very hot. Fry the samosas in batches until golden-brown, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
7. Serve the freshly fried samosas with chutney or tomato ketchup.
Rate This Recipe