- Serves: 2 (makes 4 wontons)
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: hard
For the wontons
- 300 g cooked white crab meat
- 1 small red chilli, de-seeded and diced
- small knob ginger, thinly sliced
- 50 g thick mayonnaise
- handful basil, finely chopped
- 1 packets pata brique pastry or filo pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the raw salad
- 1 medium green apple
- 100 g watercress
- 2 radishes, finely sliced
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 50 g extra virgin olive oil
For the avocado puree
- 1 avocado, peeled and the stone removed
- 1 lime, juice only
- splash tabasco
1. For the wontons: mix together the crab meat, chilli, ginger, mayonnaise and basil and season.
2. Moisten the edges of a sheet of pata brique pastry, with water. Keep a small bowl of water on hand to re-wet the edges if needed. Put about 2 tablespoons of the crab filling in the centre of the pastry. Fold the pastry in half lengthwise, making sure the ends meet and press down firmly on the ends to seal. Use your thumbs to make sure the filling is in the centre of the wonton, then fold the wonton in half again and moisten the edges to seal. Push the corners up and hold each corner in place between your thumb and index finger. Bring the two corners together so that one overlaps the other. Press together to seal. The wonton should stand up and resemble a nurse's cap. Brush with a little beaten egg using a pastry brush.
3. Repeat with the remaining wontons, keeping the filled ones covered with a damp towel to keep them from drying out.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fat fryer to 160C. Fry the wontons for 1-2 minutes, until the pastry is just cooked. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and put on kitchen paper to drain off the fat.
5. For the raw salad: mix together the apples, watercress and radishes in a bowl and squeeze over the juice of the lemon. Season the salad with salt and pepper and pour over the olive oil. Mix gently.
6. For the avocado puree: Blend the avocado, lime juice and Tabasco to a smooth paste in a food processor.
7. Serve the wontons with the raw salad and a dollop of avocado puree on the side.
Rate This Recipe