- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 mins chilling
- Effort: medium
- 480 g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 3 eggs, plus 1 egg white, beaten
- 300 g fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 220 g caster sugar
- 2 wide strips orange peel
- 120 g unsalted butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g unpeeled almonds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- double cream
- vanilla extract, (optional)
- sugar, (optional)
1. Roll out the pastry until about 3mm thick, and use to line a greased 24cm diameter tart tin. Leave to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Prick the pastry base all over with a fork, line with baking parchment, fill with baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes.
3. Take the pastry case from the oven and remove the parchment and baking beans. Brush with a little beaten egg white and return to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes.
4. Remove the pastry case from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 190°C/gas 5.
5. Meanwhile put the cranberries with 120g of the caster sugar and the orange peel in a saucepan and bubble up to make a coarse jam.
6. Discard the peel, and spread the cranberry mixture over the part-baked pastry case.
7. Next, using an electric whisk, beat the butter with the remaining sugar in a mixing bowl until pale and fluffy, then slowly beat in the eggs, one by one, then the vanilla extract. Don't fret if the mixture separates a little.
8. Next, fold in the ground almonds and the cinnamon.
9. Spoon the mixture over the cranberry jam lined pastry base. Brush the remaining beaten egg white over the tart, sprinkle with granulated sugar and bake for 30 -40 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven, until cooked and lightly coloured on top.
10. Serve while still warm, with double cream (flavoured, if you like, by beating in a drop of vanilla extract and sugar to taste).
Rate This Recipe