- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 8 brown onions
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 litres chicken stock
- freshly grated ginger, to taste
- 12 fresh lime leaves, shredded
- red chillies, chopped, to taste
- 800 ml coconut milk
- 1 large handful coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
2. Slice the onions in half, leaving the skins on. Place onto a baking tray along with the unpeeled garlic cloves and roast for 45 minutes, or until the onions are browned and softened.
3. Peel the onion and garlic and discard the skins. Slice the onions and place into a deep pan. Add the garlic, fish sauce, stock, ginger, shredded lime leaves and chillies.
4. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Using a hand blender, blend the liquid until smooth.
5. Stir in the coconut milk. Bring the soup back to a simmer, then add salt to taste. Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with sprigs of coriander and serve.
Rate This Recipe