- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 2 days salting and chilling
- Effort: easy
- 2 cod fillets, pin-boned and skinned, we recommend Norwegian Seafood
- 100 g fine or rock salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 4 thick slices of sourdough, or other bread
- 1 tsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 handfuls rocket, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
You need to salt the fish for 2 days so start this well before you want to serve it
1. Start the dish a few days in advance of when you will need it. Lay the fish in a plastic container and sprinkle the salt over the fish, after 24 hours you will notice a fair bit of liquid that the salt will have extracted from the cod, this is what we want. Remove the fish, wash it well and soak in cold water in the fridge for a further 24 hours, then remove and dry.
2. Steam the fish for 6-7 minutes until cooked then place in a food processor with the garlic. Pulse it to a paste, then, with the motor running gently add the vegetable oil in a steady stream as if making mayonnaise. When it becomes thick and quite stodgy (you may not need all the oil) add enough water with the motor still running to let it down until it becomes creamy. Season with white pepper.
3. Toast the bread then spread the Norwegian Skrei / cod thickly on top, sprinkle with the parsley, a little lemon juice & olive oil. Dress the rocket with lemon juice and olive oil and serve alongside.
Recipes from Norwegian Seafood Council.
Rate This Recipe