- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 20 mins chilling
- Effort: easy
For the pastry
- 225 g ready-made shortcrust pastry, savoury
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 100 ml water
- 1½ tsp salt
- 200 g leeks, washed, trimmed and finely sliced
- 200 g prawns, or shrimps, peeled and cooked
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 350 ml whipping cream
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, chives or basil, chopped
- a pinch of freshly ground white pepper
- side salad, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 20cm flan tin. Place the pastry case in the refrigerator to chill for at least 20 minutes.
3. Cover the pastry with kitchen foil and line with baking beans.
4. Bake blind in the oven for about 15 minutes until light golden brown. Remove from the oven, remove the foil and beans and set the pastry case aside to cool.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C.
6. Melt the butter in a saucepan with 100ml of water and ½ tsp of salt. Add the leeks and fry gently for about 4-5 minutes until just cooked. Allow the leeks to cool slightly and then squeeze out the excess liquid.
7. Pat the prawns dry with kitchen paper and mix them with the leeks.
8. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks until well-blended.
9. Add in the eggs, yolks, whipping cream, tomato ketchup, chopped fresh herbs, remaining salt and white pepper. Whisk gently until the mixture is smooth.
10. Stir in the prawns and leeks.
11. Gently pour the filling into the tart case and cook in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until completely set.
12. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve warm with a side-salad.
Rate This Recipe