- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: easy
For the colcannon
- 350 g green cabbage, shredded
- 550 g potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 75 g butter
- 3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
For the mushroom chicken
- 1 lime, juice only
- 2 tbsp low salt soy sauce, such as Kikkoman
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned if preferred
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 175 g mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
1. For the Colcannon: boil the cabbage for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain and mix with the potatoes and spring onions.
2. Melt half the butter with the milk and stir into the potato mixture. Season with pepper and set aside.
3. For the chicken: mix the lime juice, soy sauce and honey together, add the chicken, and marinate in the fridge covered with cling film for at least 1 hour.
4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, cook the mushrooms for 5 minutes then remove. Drain the chicken and fry for 15 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally.
5. Remove the chicken and add the stock and any remaining marinade to the cooking juices. When bubbling, stir in the crème fraîche and return the chicken and mushrooms to the pan.
6. To finish the Colcannon, melt the remaining butter in another frying pan, add the potato mixture and fry until brown and crisp underneath. Turn the mixture over and fry for a further 5 minutes. Serve hot with the chicken.
Rate This Recipe