- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 large egg, separated
- 300 g ready-made shortcrust pastry
For the filling
- 200 g salmon steaks
- 4-6 black peppercorns
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 60 ml white wine
- 2 large eggs
- 200 ml double cream
- 75 ml Greek yogurt
- 1 pinches cayenne pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp small capers
- 1 pinches black onion seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and use to line a 20cm flan ring and set on a baking tray.
3. Chill the flan in the fridge for 10 minutes before lining the flan with crushed greaseproof paper. Half-fill with baking beans and bake the flan for 10 minutes until the pastry has set. Remove the beans and paper and continue cooking until the pastry is golden.
4. Remove the pastry and turn down the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
5. Combine the egg white with a pinch of salt, and brush an even thin coating onto the base of the blind-baked pastry case.
6. Bake in the oven for 3-4 minutes to set the egg white and seal the pastry.
7. To make the filling: put the salmon steak in a pan and add the black peppercorns, 2-3 slices of lemon, the shallot slices and bay leaf.
8. Pour over the white wine and top up with cold water to just cover the fish. Put a greaseproof paper disc on top.
9. Bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat and leave the fish to cool in the pan (this could be done the day before).
10. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
11. Remove the fish from the cooled poaching juices. Dry well, and remove the skin and any dark bits.
12. Flake the salmon into large pieces and set aside.
13. Beat 2 eggs with the remaining yolk, double cream and yogurt.
14. Season with a little salt, cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
15. Spread the gentlemen's relish over the base of the tart. Scatter in the flaked salmon and sprinkle over the capers.
16. Pour over the egg mixture and sprinkle on some black onion seeds.
17. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the filling is just set to a wobble.
18. Remove from oven and leave to cool a little before serving. Serve warm.
Rate This Recipe