- Serves: makes 36-48 squares
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 ml milk
- 100 ml double cream
- 350 g caster sugar
- 80 g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Lightly butter a shallow baking dish.
2. Pour the milk and cream into a heavy-based saucepan, add the sugar and butter and bring the mixture to a boil over a medium heat.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring continuously, until the mixture registers 115C on a sugar thermometer (this is called the soft ball stage).
4. Stir in the vanilla extract; remove from the heat and leave to cool.
5. Beat the mixture with a whisk until thick, before pouring into the prepared dish to set. Cut into squares to serve.
Rate This Recipe