- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 large bulb fennel, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 280 ml single cream
- 200 ml milk
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 125 g vegetarian dolcelatte, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, finely ground
- 300 g tagliatelle, cooked according to packet instructions
- 170 g watercress, roughly chopped
1. Brush the fennel wedges with the olive oil and cook under a hot grill, turning occasionally, until softened and slightly charred - about 10 - 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mix the cream and milk in a small saucepan. Remove 2 tablespoons and put into a small cup with the cornflour. Mix until smooth. Heat the rest of the cream and milk until hot but not scalding.
3. Put the dolcelatte in a food processor with the cornflour mixture and the ground fennel seeds. Pour over the hot cream and milk mixture and whiz until the sauce is smooth. Return to the pan.
4. Heat the sauce, stirring all the time, until it comes to the boil. Immediately turn down the heat and continue to simmer, still stirring, for about 1 minute until the sauce has thickened. Add the chopped watercress and bring the sauce back up to temperature. You can add little more milk if the sauce seems too thick. Season to taste and pour sauce over the cooked tagliatelle.
5. Portion into 4 large pasta dishes and top with grilled fennel. Serve immediately.
© The Vegetarian Society (recipe created by the Cordon Vert cookery school) www.vegsoc.org
Rate This Recipe