- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 300 ml double cream
- ï¿½ vanilla pods
- pastry tartlet cases
- large pinch of ground cinnamon
- caster sugar, for dusting
Tips and Suggestions
This recipe contains lightly cooked egg. Raw or lightly cooked egg should not be served to young children, elderly people, invalids and pregnant women because of the risk of salmonella poisoning
1. In a mixing bowl, using an electric beater or whisk, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until white and fluffy.
2. In a heavy-based saucepan, bring the cream and the vanilla pod to the boil.
3. Remove the vanilla pod and add the hot cream to the egg yolk mixture.
4. Mix together, then pour back in the heavy-based saucepan. Cook gently over a very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and takes on a custard consistency.
5. Transfer the egg yolk mixture to a measuring jug. Pour half the mixture into half the tartelette cases, dividing it evenly among the cases.
6. Stir the cinnamon into the remaining egg yolk mixture. Pour this into the remaining tartelette cases.
7. Chill the filled tartelette cases until set.
8. Dust the chilled tartelette cases with a fine, even layer of sifted caster sugar. Using a chef's blowtorch, glaze the sugar layer until blackened.
Rate This Recipe