- Serves: Makes 30
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 100 g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 200 g cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 pinch freshly ground white pepper
- 3 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 30 spring roll wrappers
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. Heat the oil in a large wok and stir-fry the carrot for a minute. Tip in the cabbage, mushrooms and chicken and continue frying for another minute, stirring all the time.
2. Season with white pepper and add the sugar, soy sauces and sesame oil.
3. Combine two teaspoons of the cornflour with 3 tablespoons of water and stir into the filling while still on the heat. Any juices will soon thicken. Leave the filling on one side to cool.
4. Combine the remaining cornflour with enough water to make a thin paste. Lay a spring roll wrapper on the counter and put a tablespoon of the cooled filling across one end. Brush the wrapper edges with the cornflour liquid this will help the edges stick together.
5. Fold the two opposite edges of the wrapper over part of the filling and roll into a tight cylindrical shape. Pinch the edges together so that you have a good seal. Repeat with the remaining filling and wraps.
5. Heat the oil in a deep fryer and cook the spring rolls in batches until golden this should take around 5-7 minutes for each lot. Drain on absorbent paper and serve with a sweet chilli dipping sauce.
Rate This Recipe