- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 smoked bacon, cut into strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cooked duck legs, flesh shredded
- 4 tbsp mashed potato
- black pepper
- 4 large spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- alfalfa shoots, to garnish
For the watermelon and mozzarella salsa:
- 1 small watermelon, cut into batons
- 150 g bocconcini (small balls of mozzarella cheese)
- bunch of leaves basil
- juice of 1/2 oranges, reduced by half
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add the bacon and fry until golden brown.
2. Add the onion and garlic. Fry until softened slightly and then add the duck leg meat and mashed potato. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Divide the duck mixture into four portions. Place each portion on a spring roll wrapper, brush the edges with beaten egg and roll up each wrapper over the duck to form a spring roll, pressing the edges together firmly.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or deep fat-fryer. Deep-fry the duck fritters until crispy and golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper, set aside and keep warm.
5. Meanwhile, arrange the watermelon on a serving plate. Scatter with the mozzarella balls and shredded basil.
6. Mix together the reduced orange juice, mustard, vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Slice the fritters into pieces, arrange on the watermelon plate in a tower and finally drizzle over the orange dressing.
8. Scatter with the alfalfa shoots and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe