- Serves: makes 36
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 30 mins rising time
- Effort: medium
- 300 g fresh or frozen broad beans
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 50 g butter, softened
- 1 tsp dried yeast, dissolved in 1 tbsp lukewarm
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil, for deep frying
For the filling
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- 3 tbsp finely chopped chives
- pinches nutmeg
1. Blanch the broad beans in a large pan of boiling water for 1 minute, before draining well and plunging in cold water; peel off the skins.
2. Place the beans in a food processor and whiz until mushy. Transfer to a large bowl, add the flour, eggs, butter, yeast mixture and a grinding of salt and pepper; mix well with your hands to make a smooth dough.
3. Cover with a cloth and leave in a warm place for about 30 minutes, until slightly risen. Meanwhile, make the filling.
4. For the filling, put all the ingredients in a bowl, mix to a smooth paste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Shape the dough into rounds the size of golf balls. On a lightly floured work surface, roll each ball of dough into an oval shape about 3mm thick.
6. Place a tablespoon of the filling on it and roll it up, pinching the edges together to seal.
7. Heat the olive oil in a deep fat fryer or large, deep saucepan. Deep-fry the croquettes, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Drain on absorbent paper, cut the croquettes in half and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe