- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 30 minutes chilling
- Effort: medium
For the croquettes
- 750 g potatoes, such as Desiree
- 50 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 50 g parmesan, grated
- 2 spring onions, very finely chopped
- 50 g plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 100 g Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the carrot and beetroot salad
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 raw beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- pinch sugar
- 4 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
1. For the croquettes: boil the potatoes in their skins in a pan for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and allow to cool slightly before peeling off the skins.
2. Pass the potatoes through a ricer or mash in a bowl until smooth. Mix in the cheddar, parmesan and spring onions and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Roll the potato mixture into golf ball sized balls and then flatten into a short sausage shape. Dip each croquette into the flour, dusting off any excess, then dip in the beaten eggs and then the breadcrumbs. Repeat with each croquette until you have used up all of the potato mixture. Place onto a tray and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up before cooking.
4. Half-fill a deep, heavy-based pan with vegetable oil and heat until a cube of bread dropped in sizzles and turns golden-brown in 30 seconds. Deep-fry the croquettes, in batches, for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
5. For the salad: whisk together the mustard, vinegar, olive oil and sugar to make a dressing. Add the grated carrot and beetroot and mix well to coat, then stir in the spring onion and parsley. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Spoon the salad onto serving plates and arrange the croquettes alongside.
Rate This Recipe