- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chilli oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 chillies, finely diced
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 kg fresh clams, washed
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp chopped mint
- black pepper
- rocket salad, to serve
1. Heat the olive, sesame and chilli oils in a large saucepan.
2. Add the shallots, garlic, half the coriander, half the ginger and half the chilli and cook over a medium heat until the shallots have softened without colouring.
3. Add the wine and the bay leaves and increase the heat. Bring to the boil and add the clams.
4. Cover the pan and cook over a brisk heat, shaking the pan from time to time, for between 3 - 5 minutes or until the clams have opened.
5. Remove opened clams and set aside. Return unopened clams to the heat and cook for a further 2 minutes. Discard any that fail to open.
6. Strain the cooking juices into another saucepan and boil the juices until they have reduced to about 4 tablespoons. Set aside to cool.
7. Meanwhile pre-heat oven to 175°C/gas 4.
8. Lightly oil the baguette slices on both sides with the olive oil and place in the oven on a baking sheet. Bake until golden and brittle, around 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
9. While the bread slices are baking remove the cooked clams from their shells, discarding the shells.
10. Chop the clam flesh into small pieces and combine with the remaining coriander, ginger and chilli. Mix with the orange, lemon and lime rinds, the lime juice, spring onion and mint. Season to with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix in the cooled cooking juices. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
7. Arrange the clam mixture on the baguette slices and serve with a rocket salad.
Rate This Recipe