- Serves: Makes 15
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 ciabatta bread, sliced and toasted
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 130 g red pesto
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- black pepper
- 75 g pecorino or parmesan shavings
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Brush the toasted bread lightly with the olive oil and then spread each slice of bread with the red pesto.
2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the onion very slowly, stirring frequently and adding a little water if they appear to be drying out.
3. Keep the onions covered so that they melt down quickly. Finally, when they are soft, remove the lid and allow any excess liquid to evaporate so that the onions look dry but shiny and voluptuous.
4. Season the onions and then spoon a little bit of the warm onion mixture on top of the red pesto coated bread slices.
5. Sprinkle with the cheese shavings and a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Scatter over the chopped fresh flat leaf parsley and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe