- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 45 mins to prove batter
- Effort: easy
For the crumpets
- 500 g plain flour
- 15 g salt
- 15 g fresh yeast
- 6 tbsp lukewarm water
- 1 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp butter
For the fresh berry compote
- 250 g strawberries
- 150 g fresh raspberries
- 75 ml orange juice
1. Sieve the flour and salt together into a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the yeast with about 5-6 tbsp of the warm water.
3. Add the yeast mixture to the flour and stir in the egg. Stir in enough milk to make a thick batter mixture. Leave the mixture to rest for about 45 minutes. If the batter seems too thick, simply stir in a little extra warm water.
4. Melt a tablespoon of butter in a non-stick pan and lightly butter some crumpet rings or scone cutters.
5. Place the rings in the pan and pour in enough batter to half fill the rings.
6. Cook over a gentle heat until holes appear in the top of the crumpets and the mixture starts to dry slightly around the edge. Turn over, remove the ring and cook lightly on the other side.
7. For the compote, simply chop the strawberries and put them into a saucepan with the raspberries and orange juice. Heat gently and serve spooned over the crumpets.
Rate This Recipe