- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 1 hour marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp sake, or dry sherry
- 1 tsp Japanese rice vinegar
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 handful cashew nut
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely diced
Tips and Suggestions
Peel the cucumber if you prefer but a lot of goodness really is next to the skin
1. Put the cucumber in a bowl. Combine the soy sauce, mirin, sake (or sherry), rice vinegar and sugar in a jug and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Pour the dressing over the cucumber and leave to marinate for 1 hour or so.
3. Meanwhile, toast the cashews in a dry frying pan until tinged with brown then set aside in a dish to cool. Next toast the sesame seeds (they should brown quicker) and set them aside separately.
4. When the salad has marinated, stir in the cashews and chilli. Transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle with ssesame seeds and serve.
Rate This Recipe