- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus one hr standing time
- Effort: easy
- 900 g cucumber, thinly sliced unpeeled
- 3 small onions, thinly sliced
- 350 g sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 225 ml cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar
Tips and Suggestions
Mrs Allen started making this in Ballymaloe over 30 years ago. It is one of the most handy recipes to have in your repertoire; not only is it good in burgers and all kinds of sandwiches, but it is wonderful with cold sliced meats, smoked fish, and transforms a humble hard boiled egg and a chunk of cheddar into a feast.
It is a pickle so even though it will lose it's vibrant green colour, it will keep for weeks and weeks and weeks.
1. Mix the cucumber and onion in a large bowl.
2. Add the sugar, salt and vinegar, and mix well to combine. Leave for one hour to enable the flavours to develop.
Rate This Recipe