- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300 g rice
- 750 ml water
- 250 ml natural low-fat yogurt
- 3 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp split white urad lentils, optional
- 15 curry leaves
- 4 dried chillies
- 3cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- pinch of asafoetida, optional
Tips and Suggestions
Urad lentils can be bought from health food shops and Asian grocers. Asafoetida has a pungent aroma, it's best to add only a tiny pinch when cooking with it.
1. Boil the washed rice in the water until soft and quite mushy. Leave to cool before mixing it with the yogurt.
2. Heat the oil in a small frying pan and toss in the mustard seeds. Cook for about 30 seconds until they give off a lovely warm nutty whiff. Add the white lentils, if using, to the pan and sprinkle in the curry leaves, red chillies, ginger, chopped green chillies and asafoetida if using.
3. Tip this hot spice mixture into the yogurt-rice, stir to mix and serve chilled.
Rate This Recipe