- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g potatoes, (ideally King Edwards), peeled and chopped
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 450 g curly kale, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- grilled bacon
- 4 poached eggs, to serve
1. Cook the chopped potatoes in a large pan of salted water until tender; drain, return to the saucepan and heat briefly to dry them out. Mash the potatoes thoroughly.
2. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add in the curly kale. Blanch the curly kale for 2 minutes, then drain well and squeeze out any excess water.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Add in the onion and fry, stirring now and then, until softened and browned, around 5 minutes.
4. Mix together the mashed potato, blanched kale and fried onion and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. On a floured board, shape the mixture into 8 even-sized patties.
6. Heat the remaining vegetable oil in the frying pan used for the onion.
7. Add in the patties and fry until crisp and golden brown on both sides.
8. Serve at once with bacon and poached eggs.
Rate This Recipe