- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 kg curly kale
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 850 ml groundnut oil, for deep frying
1. Using a sharp knife, remove the thick stalks from the kale.
2. Wash and thoroughly dry the kale (this step is vitally important to ensure that it remains crisp when deep-fried).
3. Finely shred the leaves.
4. Heat the oil in a wok or deep fat fryer until slightly smoking. Deep-fry the shredded greens (this is best done in batches), for about 30 seconds until they turn a slightly darker green and begin to crisp. Remove them immediately using a slotted spoon, drain well on kitchen paper and leave to cool.
5. Transfer the kale to a bowl and sprinkle with salt and sugar to taste. Serve with prawn crackers and a sweet chilli dip.
Rate This Recipe