- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 250 g currants
- 300 ml water
- 120 g brown sugar
- 60 ml cider vinegar
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the currants, water, sugar, vinegar, shallot, ginger, mustard, cinnamon, cayenne, cloves, allspice, salt and freshly ground pepper into a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring now and then.
3. Cool slightly and then blend in a food processor or jug blender, adding a little water if required. Transfer to a warm, sterilised jar, cover with a waxed disc, cool and cover tightly.
4. To use the currant ketchup, simply baste the lamb, pork or chicken during the last few minutes of cooking.
Rate This Recipe