- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp corn or peanut oil
- 2 onions, cut into 6
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp black cumin seeds
- 3 clove garlic, sliced
- 3 green chillies, sliced (with seeds)
- 1 tbsp hot curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 knob of ginger, (2cm)grated
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lime, using the zest and juice
- black pepper
- 4 lamb shanks, ach 300g, trimmed
- 50 ml water or stock
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 75 ml canned coconut cream
1. Set the oven to180°C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a large casserole; add the onions and fry for a couple of minutes, until lightly browned.
2. Now add the remaining ingredients, with the exception of the shanks, tomato puree and liquids and cook for 2 to 3 minutes
3. Season the shanks with salt and black pepper and roll around the pan, to coat in the spice mix. Fry until lightly browned all over.
4. Add the stock and puree, and bring up to the simmer.
5. Cover, transfer to the oven cook for about 1 hour 15 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and place over a gentle heat on the hob.
7. Add the coconut and simmer gently for a further 15 minutes.
8. Serve immediately with plain boiled rice.
Lamb Shank Recipe
Rate This Recipe