- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 ½ onions, roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- generous pinch ground allspice
- 4 tbsp curry powder
- 1 kg shoulder of mutton, on the bone and in bite size pieces
- olive oil
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, pierced
- small bunch thyme
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 Cyprus potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 plum tomatoes, quartered
- generous splash coconut milk
1. Mix the onion, sweet potato, carrot allspice and curry powder in a bowl. Add the mutton, drizzle on a little olive oil and then using your hands, massage everything together. Tip the mixture into a large, heavy-based pan.
2. Grate the ginger on a microplane or fine grater then squeeze the juice into the pan and discard the pulp. Add all the other ingredients, except for the coconut milk, then cover barely with water. Simmer very gently with the lid on for 3-4hours.
3. When the meat is meltingly tender, add in the coconut milk, and warm through. Finally fish out the whole scotch bonnet before serving.
Rate This Recipe