- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 large parsnip
- 85 g unsalted butter
- 110 g chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1.2 litres chicken or beef stock
- 150 ml cream
- 1 tbsp chopped chives, to serve
1. Peel and slice the parsnip.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the parsnip, onion and garlic together over a low heat for 10 minutes, until they are softened and have absorbed the butter.
3. Add the flour and the spices.
4. Slowly add the hot stock, stirring continuously.
5. Simmer until the parsnip is very soft.
6. Transfer the mixture to a blender and whiz until smooth.
7. Return to the pan, add the cream and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
8. Gently reheat the soup and serve in bowls, garnished with the chives.
Rate This Recipe