- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the dahl
- 400 g red lentils
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp curry paste
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finley chopped ginger
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
For the chapattis
- 300 g whole- wheat flour, plus extra for flouring
- salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, or groundnut oil, plus extra for frying
- cold water, as necessary
1. For the dahl: wash the lentils in cold running water until the water runs clear.
2. Put the lentils in a pot with water to cover and simmer, covered with a lid, until tender.
3. While the lentils are cooking, fry the onions in coconut oil in a large pan until caramelised.
4. While the onions are cooking, combine the curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chilli powder, salt, sugar, garlic and ginger in a mixing bowl and mix well.
5. Once the onions are caramelised, add the curry mixture to the onions and cook over a high heat stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
6. Stir in the tomatoes and reduce the heat. Simmer the tomato curry base until the lentils are ready. When the lentils are tender, drain them (though they should have absorbed most of the water) and stir the tomato curry base into the lentils.
7. For the chapattis: sieve the flour into a bowl, add the salt and oil and mix well. Gradually add enough cold water to bring the mixture together and knead, using your hands, to make a soft dough.
8. Divide the dough into 10 portions and roll each one into a round ball. Flour a clean work surface and roll each ball out into a round pancake using a rolling pin
9. Heat a cast-iron frying pan over a medium flame. Add a little oil and place the first chapatti in the pan. Cook for about a minute or until bubbles start to appear on the surface of the chapatti and then turn over. Continue with the remaining dough and place each chapatti between kitchen paper or napkins until ready to serve.
10. Serve the hot dahl with the fresh chapattis.
Rate This Recipe