- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 80 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 5 egg yolks
- 300 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half lengthways
- caster sugar, to sprinkle
1. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl suspended above a pan of simmering water. Remove from direct heat.
2. Whisk the egg yolk with the sugar until white and fluffy.
3. Place the cream and the vanilla pod in a heavy-based saucepan and bring to boiling point.
4. Whisking constantly, add the hot cream mixture to the whisked egg yolks.
5. Mix together and pour back in the saucepan. Cook gently, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly.
6. Pour the cream mixture over the melted chocolate and fold together.
7. Pour the chocolate mixture into four ramekins. Cool, then chill until set, ideally overnight.
8. Sprinkle the caster sugar finely and evenly over the set chocolate brûlée. Sprinkle with little water.
9. Using a chef's blow-torch to caramelise the sugar topping on each chocolate brûlée. Alternately, preheat the grill and caramelise the chocolate Brûlées under the grill. Serve.
Rate This Recipe