- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.1666666666666667 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 20 mins cooling time
- Effort: easy
For the butterscotch sauce
- 350 g brown sugar
- 180 g unsalted butter
- 250 ml double cream
For the dates
- 175 g organic dates, stones removed
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300 ml boiling water
For the sponge
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 230 g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 150 g dark chocolate, chopped
1. Gently warm the brown sugar, butter and cream. Turn up the heat and boil, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. The sauce should have slightly thickened.
2. Pour half the sauce into a 20cm diameter spring form cake tin, lined with buttered aluminium foil. Leave it to cool slightly. Reserve the rest of the sauce for serving.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Place the dates in a bowl and sprinkle over the bicarbonate of soda. Pour on the boiling water and leave until cool - about 20 minutes.
4. For the sponge, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and stir in the cooled date mixture. Fold in the flour and baking soda; stir in the chopped chocolate and pour the mixture over the butterscotch sauce in the foil-lined tin and bake for 30 minutes. Turn down the heat to 160C/gas 3 and continue baking for another 20-30 minutes - the sponge should now be firm to the touch.
5. Reheat the reserved sauce and serve with the pudding.
Rate This Recipe