- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg stewing beef steaks, cubed
- 120 g bacon, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1/2 stick celery
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 350 ml port
- finely pared zest of 1 oranges
- 1/2 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 250 ml beef stock
- black pepper
For the spiced beetroot:
- 500 g boiled beetroot
- 500 ml red wine, (ideally Shiraz)
- 200 ml red wine vinegar
- 150 g dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced - ginger
- 1 red chilli, minced
1. Place the beef steak, bacon, carrot, onion, celery and garlic into a large bowl and add the port and orange zest. Sprinkle with the thyme and add the bay leaf and leave to marinate overnight.
2. To prepare the beetroot, cut the boiled beetroot into segments and place into a bowl.
3. Mix the red wine with the vinegar, brown sugar, fennel seeds, garlic, ginger and chilli in a saucepan.
4. Bring to the boil and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes and then pour over the beetroot. Allow to cool and set aside for later.
5. Drain the marinated beef and vegetables, reserving the marinade.
6. Heat the oil in a casserole dish, add the beef and fry over a high heat, browning on all sides.
7. Add the marinated vegetables and flour, mixing well. Pour in the reserved marinade and stock. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper.
8. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 and a half hours.
9. Remove the beef, vegetables and bay leaf from the casserole, using a slotted spoon and place in a serving dish, keeping warm.
10. Bring the remaining cooking liquid to the boil and cook briskly until reduced to a coating consistency.
11. Add the reduced liquid to the beef and vegetables and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix with the spiced beetroot and serve.
Rate This Recipe